Canine DNA Parentage Test
Do you have doubts about the parentage of a recent litter?
Is it possible you may have a multiple-sired litter?
Would you like to offer your purchasers DNA-certified pedigrees?
DNA Parentage Testing for Canines is Fast, Affordable, and Powerful.
Parentage among Canines can be definitively established using PCR technology to compare allele sizes. EDC Veterinary is using a 16-DNA marker panel for routine parentage testing and keeps an additional 12 markers in reserve for extended testing in cases involving closely related dogs.
The testing fee is $38 per sample; for example, if a sire, dam and 1 progeny (puppy) are tested, the total fee for 3 dogs is $114. A typical test includes both parents; if the dam or sire is missing, please call us for more information about testing options.
You will be emailed a detailed Parentage Report showing inclusion or exclusion of each sire tested along with a DNA Profile summary page. Results are reported as:
- Parentage qualifies (Inclusion of sire and dam) – both the sire and dam matched the progeny (puppy) at all 16 DNA markers.
- Parentage does not qualify (Exclusion of sire, dam is included) – the dam matched the progeny (puppy), but the possible sire did not match the progeny and is not the sire.
Q: Why should I send the mother’s sample if I already know she is the mom?
A: Having the mother’s DNA makes testing much more powerful. A sire may be falsely included if the mother’s sample is not used to eliminate her half of the DNA contribution. When the mother is not available, extended testing can be done to determine proper parentage
Q: At what age can testing be done?
A: Cheek swab samples can be obtained from dogs of any age, even newborn or nursing puppies. If pups are nursing, separate them from the mother for about 30 minutes (long enough that they do not have milk in their mouth when you go to swab them).
Q: If my dog has already been DNA Profiled through EDC Veterinary, do I need to send another sample?
A: No. We can retrieve the DNA Profile information for dogs we have tested from our database. You can provide us with the DNA ID number for that previously tested dog and we will include it in a new Parentage Evaluation. There is a $10 fee to include each previously tested Profile in a new Parentage Evaluation case.
Highlights regarding this test include:
- DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek) swabs.
- Dogs can be DNA tested at ANY age using the buccal swabs.
- The cost for testing is $38 (US) per canine ($10 to include an existing EDC Profile in a new Parentage Evaluation).
- DNA results are emailed within 10 business days of receipt of the samples.
- Individual DNA Profile reports can be ordered for an additional $10 per dog